Types of approvals/permits:
- Commercial new construction, additions and renovations
- Residential new construction, additions and renovations
- Land Disturbing Activity (LDA)
- Civic Engineering Plans (CEP)
Follow these ePlan Review guidelines for building permits to ensure a successful online application:
- Searchable PDF files: All documents submitted for review must be saved as searchable PDF files.
- 3” by 3” blank space: A 3” by 3” blank space is required at the top right corner of each submitted document. This space is for Arlington County’s approval stamp, which is applied at permit issuance.
- No Size Limitations: There are no size limitations to documents submitted online.
- Scalable Vector Drawings: While scanned images are accepted, every effort should be made to submit scalable vector drawings.
- Standard File Naming Convention: When preparing plans for building and land disturbance permits, follow the Standard File Naming Conventions. This will help facilitate uploading your files for submission and will also ensure the plans are placed in the correct order for the final compiled plan set at permit issuance.
- Uploaded as Individual Files: Files must be uploaded as individual files through the ePlan Review portal. The construction set should NOT be submitted as one file.
- File Names Must Remain The Same: The file names must remain the same throughout the submittal and re-submittal process. Revisions to file names will require the County to reject your plan resubmission.
- Files Should Not Be Deleted: Files should not be deleted between revisions unless the submitted file is being completely removed from the permit set.
- Comment Response Letter: A comment response letter must be submitted with each permit revision. This letter should address all outstanding County comments and address any additional revisions to the plan set. This must be uploaded as a PDF file with the revised sheets.
- Permit is Approved and Issued: When a permit is approved and issued, an approved construction document set will be created by county staff. This set will be available for the applicant’s use on the ePlan Review portal.
- Print The Approved Construction Document Set: The applicant is responsible for printing the approved construction document set and having it available on-site prior to the first scheduled inspection.
|Online Payment | ePlan Review Portal (Technology Staff)||email | 703-228-7638|
|User Experience & Feedback (Project Staff)||email | 703-228-5027|
|Building Permits||email | see Staff directory|
|Land Disturbing Activity (LDA)||email | 703-228-3629|
|Civil Engineering Plans (CEP)||email | 703-228-3629|