Applications for all building, land disturbing activity (LDA), and civil engineering plans (CEP) permits may be submitted through the ePlan Review portal. These include commercial new construction, additions and alterations, and land disturbance/stormwater.
Commercial building permits may qualify for an electronic express review or a paper fast-track review, depending on the complexity of the project. Depending on the scope of work there are different plan review times for ePlan as well as plan review times for paper plans.
There are two different options to submit building permits for residential projects, online through the ePlan Review or in person in paper. Permits may be submitted electronically through Arlington’s ePlan Review portal. Learn more about the electronic plan submission process.
The ePlan Reviews offers simultaneous review, online payment, emailed status updates and other efficiencies not possible with paper submissions. Building permits may also be submitted as paper copies in person to the Inspection Services Division (ISD), located on the 10th floor of Courthouse Plaza, 2100 Clarendon Blvd. Learn more about the paper plan submission process.
Construction Document Requirements
Learn more about the construction documents and supporting information typically required for plan review of commercial projects.
Commercial Express Review Criteria
* Commercial express reviews are intended to be accomplished in a short amount of time. Alterations that require an extensive review because of the complexity of the design or special exception may be classified as a route-through review even though it meets the following criteria:
- The project is an interior alteration in an existing commercial building
- There are NO site changes, such as changes to parking, windows, doors, exterior vents, etc.
- The project does NOT have a change of use per the Virginia Construction Code or the Zoning Ordinance
- The project is Business (B) or Mercantile (M, retail) use per the Virginia Construction Code; this means that apartments and other multi-family buildings do not qualify for walk-thru or express review
- The space is not located on the 1st floor, top floor, penthouse, roof top, or below the 1st floor
- The project does NOT include trailers or cranes
- NO structural modifications are being made to the building
- The project work area is only on one floor of the building
- The scope of work does NOT include a commercial kitchen, food handling, or interactive water feature, such as pool, spa, hot tub, or splash pad
- If the project is located on a property with a site plan, depending on the scope of work and the condition of the site plan, the project may not qualify for express
Throughout the building permit process and depending upon the extent of the work, you will be required to complete different inspections.
Call Arlington to schedule your inspection appointment 24 hours in advance:
- Automated Scheduling System (IVR): 703-228-3700(Available 24/7)
- Schedule an Inspection online
For fire alarm and sprinkler systems, please call 703-228-3846. Leave a voicemail and an Inspection Services Division (ISD) Fire Inspector will contact you within 24 hrs to schedule your inspection.
The cost for permits varies depending upon each project.
- Any permit expires 6 months after the last approved inspected activity on the site.
- If someone other than the permit holder is tasked with getting the permit from the department, they must have an Affidavit of Permit Authorization.