Civil Engineering Plans (CEP) are to be submitted electronically for review and approval through the Submitter ePlan Review Portal. Review status, comments and markups can be accessed through the Portal.
The Submitter has the option of meeting with Key Reviewers and a Plan Coordinator to acquire more information about the submission, review and approval process during the pre-submission meeting.
View the Minimum Acceptance Criteria (MAC) and Guidelines document for Civil Engineering Plans. The document is to be used as an aid in the preparation of Civil Engineering Plans. The MAC and Guidelines can also be emailed to the Submitter on request.
The Minimum Acceptance Criteria provides a list of items required for a thorough review. The Submitters will be notified, via the Portal if a plan does not meet the Minimum Acceptance Criteria and is not accepted for submission.
- Create an account on the Submitter Portal. In that account, using instructions available on our website, create a project and upload plan sheets and the completed MAC document. Submit plan for review.
- The Plan Coordination Group Supervisor will assign the plan to a Plan Coordinator, who will start the review cycle.
- The plan will be checked for items in the MAC. If the plan has the required items, it will be accepted for first review. If the plan does not have all the required items for review, it will be disapproved and comments will be generated. An email notification of disapproval will be sent to the Submitter and the rejection comments letter will be published to the Portal.
- If the plan is not accepted, the Submitter may request a meeting with the assigned Plan Coordinator.This meeting will give the Submitter and the assigned Plan Coordinator an opportunity to discuss comments and the resubmission of the plan.
- Once the plan is accepted for first review, the assigned Plan Coordinator will assign the plan to the Key Reviewers of those Review Groups that need to review the plan.
- The Key Reviewers will assign the plan to other Reviewers within their groups, if required. The reviewers will review the plan and create comments and markups within the designated amount of time for review. They will coordinate with any appropriate individuals to resolve conflicts within their groups. The final decision and the comments will be sent to the assigned Plan Coordinators electronically.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will look for any remaining conflicts and resolve conflicting comments.
- After the first review is complete, if disapproved, the assigned Plan Coordinator will generate a document with all the comments and create a plan set comprising of marked-up sheets. The assigned Plan Coordinator will publish these documents on the Portal. A notification email will be sent to the Submitter about the disapproval of the plan.
- After the first review is complete, if accepted, the assigned Plan Coordinator will send the plan to the appropriate designee for electronic approval.
- Post 1st review meeting is optional with Reviewers who generated comments. A meeting can be scheduled with the assigned Plan Coordinator. At this meeting the Submitter can discuss open comments with reviewers.
- The Submitter will upload only the revised sheets to the Customer Portal maintaining the same file names as the first submission uploads. Additionally, a comment response letter must be uploaded as a combined file. The previously uploaded sheets must not be deleted unless requested by the assigned Plan Coordinator.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will check that all appropriate documents are uploaded in order to distribute the plan to reviewers for 2nd
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will check the response letter to see that all comments have been addressed.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will assign the plan to reviewers with open comments.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will look for and resolve conflicting comments.
- If there are significant design changes to the scope of the project, a narrative of the changes must be uploaded, so that the assigned Plan Coordinator can determine whether additional reviews are required and/or whether the review time may have to be extended.
- After the second review is complete, if disapproved, the assigned Plan Coordinator will generate a document with all the comments and create a plan set comprising of marked-up sheets. The assigned Plan Coordinator will publish these documents on the Portal. A notification email will be sent to the Submitter about the disapproval of the plan.
- After the second review is complete, if accepted, the assigned Plan Coordinator will send the plan to the appropriate designee for electronic approval.
- Post 2nd review meeting is required with Reviewers who generated comments. A meeting must be scheduled with the assigned Plan Coordinator. At this meeting the Submitter will discuss outstanding comments with reviewers.
- Additionally, the Submitter has the option of reaching out to individual reviewers with questions and concerns. In that case the assigned Plan Coordinators also need to be included in the communication.
- If there are still unresolved comments after the second review and the plan requires changes, the plan will go for a third review.
Third and Subsequent Reviews
For third review, follow steps listed under Second Review. Another post-submission meeting is required after each subsequent review till the plan is accepted/approved.
Once the plan is electronically approved, it will be published on the Portal and the Submitter will be notified.
Review times for each review cycle based on the plan type
|1st Review Cycle (Calendar Days)||Additional Review Cycle (Calendar Days)||Final Approval (Sign& Stamp) (Calendar Days)|
|Full Civil Engineering Set||42||28||7|
|Erosion & Sediment Control||42||28||7|
|Maintenance of Traffic Plans||28||21||7|
|Summary of ePlan Review|
|Submission||Submitter uploads PDF plan sheets on Submitter Portal|
|Submission Confirmation||Email confirmation generated by the ePlan Review system and sent to Submitter|
|Submission Rejection||Email confirmation generated by the ePlan Review system and sent to Submitter. Rejection comments letter published on Submitter Portal. Submitter makes changes and uploads new plan sheets along with a comments’ response letter to the Portal|
|Review Status||Submitter Portal provides the plan review status (# of reviews completed out of # of reviews assigned, e.g. 1 out of 5 completed). Log into Portal or refresh if already logged in|
|Adding new sheet(s) during review cycle||Submitter Calls/Emails Plan Coordinator to request new sheet addition to plan set in review. Submitter uploads pdf on Portal when project is enabled for uploads by Plan Coordinator. After plan sheet(s) upload, submitter informs Plan Coordinator, who will then disable project for further uploads|
|Comments and Marked Up Sheets||Comments and plan set with marked up plan sheets published on Submitter Portal by Plan Coordinator and can be downloaded by Submitter|
|Approved Plan||Approved plan set published on the Portal by Plan Coordinator and can be downloaded by Submitter|