Applications to change land classifications, also called “Rezoning,” are filed with Zoning Administration and the County Board makes the decision.
In addition to the application, which includes zoning by parcel, you must submit the following materials:
- 8 copies of a Statement of Support for your application
- 8 copies of a Disclosure of Interest Statement (must be notarized)
- 8 copies of the property (in addition to those required for site plans)
- 2 copies of the appropriate Arlington County Tax Maps
- 8 copies of any drawings that would assist the County Board in its decision
- Filing fee (see schedule below)
Lots: If the affected property consists entirely of recorded lots (full lots only), please include the following items as well:
- The legal description of the property
- The Real Property Code No.(s). (Available in Real Estate Assessments, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Room 611)
- 4 copies of a plat showing the property affected and its dimensions
Acreage or part(s) of recorded lots: If the affected property consists entirely of recorded lots (full lots only), the following must be submitted with the application:
- 8 copies of a metes and bounds description prepared by a certified land surveyor
- 8 copies a certified plat showing the property affected
- The Real Property Code No(s). (Available in Real Estate Assessments, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Room 611)
About the Supporting Materials
- Statement of support: A statement must be filed by the applicant or agent, setting forth the proposed use and giving justification in support of the application. The statement will be reproduced and copies forwarded to the Planning Commission and to the County Board.
- Statement from adjoining owners: Statements of support from neighboring owners and the local civic associations are suggested.
- Disclosure of interest: Every applicant for a change in land classification is required to file with his application a complete statement of disclosure of the equitable ownership and parties in interest of the real estate to be affected. This includes the names and addresses of all owners and anyone else having an interest in the property. The form is included in the application.
- Applicant: An application may be filed by an owner, a contract owner, or his agent. In the case of contact ownership, evidence that a contract is in place, including the names of owners and the expiration date of the contracts, must be provided.
- Fee schedule: A filing fee (payable to ARLINGTON COUNTY TREASURER) must accompany the application in accordance with the following schedule:
- Requests to: Site of 25,000 sq. ft. or less Site of more than 25, 000 sq. ft.
- “R” Districts $4,185 plus $1,093 DES fee $ 5,555 plus $2,186 DES fee
- “RA” Districts $4,185 plus $1,093 DES fee $ 6,927 plus $3,278 DES fee
- ‘RA-H”, “R-C”, “RA-H-3.2, “RA4.8” . $9,506 plus $3,728 DES fee $14,252 plus $5,463 DES fee
- S”, “C”, “M”, & “CP-FBC”, “MU-VS” $6,927 plus $3,278 DES fee $ 9,669 plus $5,463 DES fee
- “C-O” Districts $14,252 plus $5,463 DES fee $14,252 plus $5,463 DES fee
- Rezoning advertised at the applicants request on the County Board’s own motion $6,927 plus $2,186 DES fee plus the above fee.
- Rezoning with General Land Use Plan (GLUP) Amendment $8,740 plus $4,371 DES fee plus the above fee
- Automation Enhancement Fee – 5% of total fees
- Rezoning when accompanied by a Site Plan (above fee in addition to applicable Site Plan fee)
- Attending the hearing: Applicants for a change in land classification or their agents must be present at the meeting of the Planning Commission and the County Board on the County Board on the advertised hearing dates.
- One year required for reconsideration: No application for any change of zoning of the same lot shall be considered by the County Board within a period of 360 days from its last consideration by the County Board. This provision, however, shall not impair the right of the County Board to propose an advertising for a change of zoning on its own motion.