On July 1, 2018, qualified telecommunications projects will become eligible for an administratively reviewed zoning permit. Applicants must complete the Zoning Telecommunications Permit Application.
Please consult with the Inspection Services Division (ISD) to determine if a building permit is required.
Submission & Review Process
STEP 1: Pre-Submission – Determine Type of Project
Before applying for an administrative permit, determine if your project meets all criteria for one of the permit categories. See instructions on application.
If your project does not meet the basic requirements listed, explore other telecommunications permit options:
STEP 2: Submit Application for Administrative Zoning Permit for a Telecommunications Project
- Applications are filed with the Zoning Division.
- Zoning counter services staff will review the application to determine if all required signatures are present, if the application if fully completed and if all of the supporting documents are included.
- Applications that are missing any required information or elements will not be accepted.
STEP 3: Application Review
- Zoning plan review staff assigned to the application will conduct an application completeness review and will contact you via email if there are any missing elements to the application, within 10 days of application filing.
- Once the application is deemed complete, Zoning staff will approve or deny the application within:
- 60 days for small cell facility applications
- 150 days for new structure projects
- 90 days for co-location projects
- The application will undergo a 2316 review based on regulations set forth Va. Code 15.2.-2316.4, 2316.4:1, 2316.4:2, and 2316.4:3
- If more time is necessary, Zoning staff will email the applicant to request additional days for review.
- An applicant may apply for only one (1) permit type per application (small cell, new structure or co-location)
- An application may contain up to 35 small cell facilities per permit request
- An application may contain only one new structure on a single site per permit request
- An application may contain only one co-location request per existing structure per permit request
Be sure your applications is properly filled out, signed, notarized and meets all requirements stated therein, including:
- Provide a signed statement from the site owner showing agreement to allow installation or construction of a new structure on the site. If you are applying for a permit to co-locate a wireless facility on an existing structure, provide a statement from the structure owner showing agreement to allow co-location.
- Provide a site plan including a vicinity map, the location of the proposed structure or co-location in relation to other structures or wireless facilities.
- Provide 11” x 17” drawings to scale showing the elevation profile of the new structure indicating heights of the proposed structure and any attached wireless facility. For co-location projects, drawings must show proposed wireless facilities to be co-located and height of the existing structure and other existing wireless facilities.
- Application signature must be notarized.
Apply In-Person or Mail
Arlington County Ellen M. Bozman Government Center
CPHD – Zoning Administration
2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 1000
Arlington, VA 22210
Each application will require the following fees:
|New Structure||$500 per application|
|Co-location||$500 per application|
|Small Cell Facilities||$100 per facility||1st through 5th facility|
|$50 per facility||6th through 35th facility|