Approximate Review Time: Up to 160 days
Regulations: Zoning for Wireless Telecommunications Infrastructure
Form: Zoning Telecommunications Permit Application
As of July 1, 2018, an administrative permit will be required from the Arlington County Zoning Division for installation or construction of new telecommunications facilities that are up to 50 feet above ground level, in accordance with regulations set forth in Section 2316 of the Virginia State Code. The regulations define new structures and provides a process for review and approval of these projects. All wireless service providers must apply for the permit to install or construct a new structure that is up to 50 feet above ground level.
Submission & Review Process
STEP 1: Pre-Submission
Before applying for a permit, review all information listed on this page and relevant regulations to determine if the proposed project qualifies as a new structure and to find out about other Arlington County permits that may be required.
STEP 2: Submission and Intake of Zoning Telecommunications Permit Application
- Zoning Telecommunications permit applications are filed with the Zoning Division
Apply In-Person or Mail
Arlington County Ellen M. Bozman Government Center
CPHD – Zoning Division
2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 1000
Arlington, VA 22210
- There are no options for electronic filing of the application at this time.
- Two copies of the application and supporting documents are required.
- Zoning staff will perform a spot check to make sure all required application questions are answered and required supporting documents are included.
- Zoning staff will collect fees and date stamp the application.
STEP 3: Application Review
- Within ten (10) days of application submission, Zoning staff will contact you via email to let you know if your application is complete or if there are any missing information or element needed before a review can be completed.
- Once the application is deemed complete, Zoning staff will, within 150 days of notification of application completeness, approve or deny the application.
Each application will require the following fees:
|New Structure||$500 per application|
|Co-location||$500 per application|
|Small Cell Facilities||$100 per facility||1st through 5th facility|
|$50 per facility||6th through 35th facility|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Qualifies as a New Structure for a Zoning Telecommunication Permit?
Per the regulations, a Zoning Telecommunications Permit is required for any new structure being installed or constructed that is:
- Up to 50 feet above ground level; and
- Is designed to support small cell facilities; and
- Does not exceed 10 feet above the highest utility pole within 500 feet of the new structure in the same public right-of-way or line of utility poles; and
- Is not within the jurisdictional boundaries of a local, state or federal historic district
*Please note: A vicinity map is required with your submission.
How do I determine if my new structure exceeds 10 feet above the highest utility pole within 500 feet of the new structure in the same public right-of-way or line of utility poles?
The Department of Environmental Services (DES) can provide information regarding heights of utility poles in Arlington. Contact DES at 703-228-3629 .
How can I find out of my new structure is within the jurisdictional boundaries of a local, state or federal historic district?
The Arlington County Historic Preservation Program (HPP) is a good place to start to find out about historic districts in Arlington. Contact HPP at 703-228-3831 .
Will I require a building permit to install or construct a new telecommunications structure?
Typically, all constructions projects in Arlington require a building permit. The Inspection Service Division (ISD) can provide information about specific building permit requirements for telecommunication projects. Contact ISD at 703-228-3800 .