Approximate Review Time: Up to 100 days
Regulations: Zoning for Wireless Telecommunications Infrastructure
Form: Zoning Telecommunications Permit Application
As of July 1, 2018, an administrative permit will be required from the Arlington County Zoning Division for co-location of non-small cell telecommunications facilities on private property in accordance with regulations set forth in section 2316 of the Virginia State Code. The regulations define what co-location means for zoning and telecommunications purposes. All wireless service providers must apply for the permit to co-locate non-small cell facilities on existing structures. A permit is also required for any proposed changes or modifications to previously approved permits for co-location.
Submission & Review Process
STEP 1: Pre-Submission
Before applying for a permit, review all information listed on this page and relevant regulations to determine if the proposed project qualifies as a new structure and to find out about other Arlington County permits that may be required.
STEP 2: Submission and Intake of Zoning Telecommunications Permit Application
- Zoning Telecommunications permit applications are filed with the Zoning Division
Apply In-Person or Mail
Arlington County Ellen M. Bozman Government Center
CPHD – Zoning Division
2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 1000
Arlington, VA 22210
- There are no options for electronic filing of the application at this time.
- Review application instructions.
- Two (2) copies of the application and supporting documents are required.
- Zoning staff will perform a spot check to make sure all required application questions are answered and required supporting documents are included.
- Zoning staff will collect fees and date stamp the application.
STEP 3: Application Review
- Within ten (10) days of application submission, Zoning staff will contact you via email to let you know if your application is complete or if there are any missing information or element needed before a review can be completed.
- Once the application is deemed complete, Zoning staff will, within 90 days of notification of application completeness, approve or deny the application.
Each application will require the following fees:
|New Structure||$500 per application|
|Co-location||$500 per application|
|Small Cell Facilities||$100 per facility||1st through 5th facility|
|$50 per facility||6th through 35th facility|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What does it mean to Co-locate?
Co-locate means to install, mount, maintain, modify, operate, or replace a wireless facility on, under, within, or adjacent to a base station, building, existing structure, utility pole, or wireless support structure.
What Qualifies as a Co-Location Project for a Zoning Telecommunication Permit?
Per the 2316 regulations a co-location project is defined as:
- The co-location on any existing structure of a wireless facility that is not a small cell facility.
What if I want to co-locate a small cell facility?
Arlington County has a separate process for small cell facilities.
Will I require a building permit to co-locate on an existing structure?
Possibly. The Inspection Service Division (ISD) can provide guidance and help you determine if your co-location project requires a building permit. Contact ISD at 703-228-3800 .