During the construction process, various inspections must be scheduled to ensure the safety and proper progress of the project.
Call Arlington to schedule your inspection appointment 24 hours in advance:
- Automated Scheduling System (IVR): 703-228-3700 (Available 24/7)
- Schedule an Inspection online
For fire alarm and sprinkler systems, please call 703-228-3846. Leave a voicemail and an Inspection Services Division (ISD) Fire Inspector will contact you within 24 hrs to schedule your inspection.
Inspection of Structural Work
- Footing or reinforced concrete is poured
- Construction proceeds above the first floor
- Framing and insulation is concealed
- After the job is completed prior to occupancy of the building
A wall check plat shall be submitted for any new construction before the framing inspection will occur.
Inspection of Electrical Work, Plumbing/Gas Work, Fire Protection Systems
- Any part of the work can be covered or concealed
To ensure compliance with the codes, it is the duty of the inspectors to inspect, re-inspect, test equipment and installations, and follow up written complaints. All electrical, plumbing and gas work may be inspected from time to time to determine whether any danger to health and safety exists.
Inspection of Mechanical Work, Elevators, Escalators, Cranes and Hoists
- Any newly installed piece of mechanical equipment can be put in operation
- Mechanical ductwork must be inspected before concealment
- Required Residential Inspections
- The contractor is responsible for providing any test equipment, ladders, and personnel necessary to conduct the required trade inspections.
- Special third party inspections are required for large and complex projects where design professionals must submit reports for steel, concrete, and similar inspections on behalf of the owner. This process is outlined and detailed in the Pre-Construction Manual. Third party inspections for trade and simple concrete work must be pre-approved by the Inspection Services Division.