For more detail, please review our recently updated Guide to Arlington County Landscape Standards.
The following is a list of project types that require landscape and tree preservation plan review:
- Site Plan – all projects require review per site plan conditions
- Use Permit – some projects’ conditions will require review
- Form Based Code – all projects require review
- By-Right – plan review may be required depending on the development standards of the zoning district, as a condition of Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) approval, or if associated with a parking plan. For specific guidance about when landscape plans may be required, consult the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance.
All projects disturbing 2,500 SF or more of land require an Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater (LDA) permit, which is a separate review and permitting process, though it also requires landscape and tree preservation plans.
Application and Review Process
Tree Preservation Plans are reviewed and approved as part of the Civil Engineering Plan (CEP).
- TREE PRESERVATION PLANS: APPLY ONLINE: as part of the Civil Engineering Plan
- LANDSCAPE PLANS: APPLY IN-PERSON at the Zoning Office on the 10th Floor at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, with a filled-out Landscape and Tree Preservation Plan application
Regulations & Standards
Landscape and Tree Preservation Plans need to meet all regulations identified in the Zoning Ordinance, Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance, and other county plans and standards as applicable, including:
- Guide to Arlington County Landscape Standards
- Zoning Ordinance
- Stormwater Manual/Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance
- Administrative Regulation 4.3- Tree Planting on Public Land
- Arlington Invasive Plants List 2015
- Design Standards and Details (DPR)
- Design Standards and Details (DES)
- Drawing No. R-7.9.C – Structural Soil
- Drawing Reference No. II.H. – Underground Garage Located Under Sidewalk
- Tree Replacement Guidelines
- Recommended Tree List
- Installing Underground Utilities Near Trees
- Water Feature Requirements