Are you looking to finish your basement and are you a resident of a single family home or a 3-story or less townhome or duplex? Finishing your basement could include the addition, alteration or removal of walls, ceilings, electrical wiring, plumbing, mechanical installation and flooring.
In order to complete this project you will need permits for finishing a basement. Listed below are the types of permits required, depending on the complexity of the project.
- Residential Building Permit for construction of architectural and structural elements
- Electrical Permit for all electrical installations
- Plumbing Permit for all installations of plumbing and gas piping systems
- Mechanical Permit for the installations, alterations or extensions of new ductwork; or the addition or extension of a mechanical heating or cooling system
Finishing a Basement can either be an express review or a walk-thru review, depending on the complexity of your project.
Construction Document Requirements
Submitted construction documents must contain sufficient information for plan reviewers to be able to review the proposed construction work.
In addition to the Residential Permit Submission Requirements, when finishing your basement you need to submit the following information:
- A scaled plat
- Show and label all areas and rooms adjacent to bedrooms
- Emergency egress
- Ceiling height, to include the locations and heights under dropped ducts and beams
- Windows and all interior and exterior doors, walls, location of washer and dryer and laundry sink, electric panel board and its required clearance
- Clearances to furnace and water heater and louver locations in furnace rooms
- Indicate fuel type of furnace and water heater
CLICK ON IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE
Throughout your building permit process and depending upon the extent of the work, you will be required to complete different inspections.
Call Arlington to schedule your inspection appointment 24 hours in advance:
- Integrated Voice Response (IVR): 703-222-3700, 24 hours
- Permit Specialists: 703-228-3800, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
The cost for permits varies depending upon each project.