For assistance with damage to public utilities, select from the following or call the Customer Call Center at 703-228-5000, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-5 p.m.:
- Water and Sewer (main lines, manholes, fire hydrants, meters, etc.); 24-hour emergency: 703-228-6555
- Street Lights (outages and requests, etc.)
- Traffic Signals (outages and requests, etc.)
Call Miss Utility by dialing “811” 72 hours prior to excavating.
In accordance with the Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act (“Miss Utility Law”), Arlington identifies and marks the location of all County-owned utilities, which include water, sanitary, street lights, and traffic signal lines. We consider any service line (e.g. sanitary sewer and water service laterals) running from a utility main to a building to be a private utility and therefore, don’t mark it. The purpose of the utility marking is to prevent loss of life, damage to property and the environment, and economic loss caused by damage to underground utility lines.
The damage prevention fee, included in all public right-of-way, building, plumbing and demolition permit charges, covers the cost of the Utility Marking Service Contract (PDF) and its administration.
To report a hazardous condition or damaged utility line, like dangling electric, telephone and cable lines, or a disturbed gas main, contact one of the following companies. If you’re unsure of the type of utility line, call 911 to report.
- Electric: Dominion Virginia Power at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357), or check the status of outages and downed power lines online.
- Gas: Washington Gas – If you have an emergency involving natural gas, leave the area immediately, call 911, then call 703-750-1000 or 703-750-1400.
- Telephone or FiOS: Verizon at 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966) or 1-877-562-2253, then press #, enter ZIP code + 1, press 3 for downed or exposed lines.
- Cable TV: Comcast of Arlington at 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) for downed or exposed lines.