A moving van/container permit allows the temporary curbside placement on a street of the following vehicle or equipment types:
- Residential moving van
- Residential moving container or portable storage device (PSD), the latter being defined as a large container for temporary storage needs
- Roll-off dumpsters
- Dumpster bags
- Tour buses
- Mobile services vehicles (e.g., blood mobile)
- Funeral service vehicles
A moving van/container permit has a time limit to prevent long-term storage of personal items in the public right-of-way. The time limit varies depending on the type of vehicle or container the permit covers.
- Moving vans or trucks are limited to a maximum of two (2) consecutive days on the street.
- Moving containers and PSDs are limited to a maximum of 30 consecutive days on the street, unless the container/PSD is being used because of a natural disaster, such as flooding or a tree hitting a house.
- Upon permit expiration, the permittee must immediately remove the PSD, unless reapplication is made 72 hours prior to the expiration date and a new permit is issued.
- No permit or extension will be valid for more than one (1) month per year.
Moving van/container permit applications must be submitted online.
- You must complete a Moving Van/Container Permit Application in Permit Arlington.
- From the Create drop-down menu, select Building Application. Then select Moving Van/Container.
- View Permit Arlington Help for assistance with the online system.
- Submit the online permit application a minimum of five (5) business days prior to preferred permit start date.
- Full payment of fees is required before permit issuance. Online payment via eCheck or credit card is available.
- The online application requires the following information:
- Applicant’s name, address, phone number and email
- Placement start date and end date
- Placement location or address
- Dimensions of vehicle/equipment
- ID numbers of any parking meters impacted by placement of vehicle/equipment
- Image showing exact placement location on street
- For roll-off dumpsters only: rental company name, address and phone number
- Applicants receive approved moving van/container permits by email.
- All permitted vehicles/equipment are required to be parked against the curb and should not:
- extend into the travel lane
- obstruct stop signs, fire hydrants or driveways belonging to neighbors
- be placed closer than 20 linear feet from a street corner
- At all times, the permittee must sufficiently protect the vehicle/equipment with reflective tape and/or reflective cones placed around the perimeter.
- No permit can be issued if it conflicts with a current permit holder in the same location, or an event or business in the area.
- PSDs: Upon permit expiration, the permittee must immediately remove the PSD, unless reapplication is made 72 hours prior to the expiration date and a new permit is issued. No permit or extension will be valid for more than one (1) month per year.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for ISD, Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.