In addition to telecommunications permits for the installation of telecommunications facilities on real property, the Arlington County Code provides for the installation of small cell facilities on existing, privately-owned structures in the public right-of-way. An amendment enacted by the County Board in July 2019 provides for the installation of small cell facilities on County-owned, “cobra style” streetlights in the public right-of-way.
Before applying for a small cell facility in right-of-way (ROW) permit, make sure your project meets the following criteria for a small cell facility in the public right-of-way.
A small cell facility in the public right-of-way includes:
- An antenna(s) located inside an enclosure(s) of no more than six (6) cubic feet in volume. (In the case of an antenna with exposed elements, the antenna and all exposed elements can fit within an imaginary enclosure of no more than six (6) cubic feet.)
- Associated wireless equipment—other than the antenna(s)—with a cumulative volume of no more than 28 cubic feet, or such higher limit as is established by the Federal Communications Commission
- Installation on an existing, privately-owned structure or a County-owned, “cobra style” streetlight within the public right-of-way
Small cell facility in ROW permit applications must be submitted online.
- You must submit a Small Cell Facility in Right-of-Way Permit Application in Permit Arlington.
- From the Create drop-down menu in the Permit Arlington system, select Building Application. Then select Small Cell Facility in ROW.
- View Permit Arlington Help for assistance with the online system.
- Each structure in the right-of-way being proposed for a small cell facility installation requires a separate application (i.e., one structure per application).
- Full payment of fees is required after the application is deemed complete and accepted. Online payment via eCheck or credit card is available.
- The online application requires the following information:
- Applicant’s name, address, phone number and email
- Address or location of proposed work
- Identification of privately-owned or County-owned structure
- Notice or copy of agreement from structure owner granting permission to co-locate equipment on each existing structure associated with the permit
- Description of equipment to be attached or installed on the structure
- Vicinity map drawn to scale of 1 inch = 500 feet, or larger, showing the location of the existing structure to which the small cell facility will be attached. (The Department of Environmental Services (DES) will review all locations for potential conflicts with pending CIP projects.)
- Applicants receive their small cell facility in ROW permits by email.
- DES will review an application for a small cell facility in ROW permit for completion and notify the applicant within 10 days of filing if any elements are missing. DES will approve or deny the permit within 60 days but may extend this 60-day period in writing for an additional 30 days.
- Upon acceptance, DES will notify the applicant of any additional permits required to be submitted concurrently with the small cell facility in ROW permit.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for the Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.