About the Program
Permit Arlington is a County-wide initiative to improve land development, building, and permitting processes that includes a new online permitting system, refreshed website, and centralized space for in-person customer visits. Both physical and virtual spaces aim to achieve a transformative customer experience.
- Streamline business processes
- Enhance technology and communication tools
- Deliver excellent customer service
- Increase transparency and accountability
Customer Experience Vision
One team, one voice, delivering a responsive permitting experience driven by understanding and listening to our customer needs
- Centralized customer service seamlessly integrated with an intuitive online user experience
- A knowledgeable and friendly team providing consistent information
- Convenient and transparent from start to finish
The first step in realizing the customer experience vision and achieving program goals occurred in early 2019, when County staff consolidated in-person services for permitting customers in the Arlington County Permit Office. Until that time, permitting services for land development and building were distributed among different floors of the Bozman Government Center at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard.
In September 2019, Phase I of the Permit Arlington online system launched. Over 30 permit and application types moved to the new system in Phase I.
Over the course of 2020, staff will continue to develop the system and will implement Phase II in sub-phases. Eventually, Permit Arlington will supplant the ePlan Review system, as well as email and paper submission of permit applications. All land development and building permits will be available through Permit Arlington.