A land disturbing activity/stormwater permit is required for any activities that disturb equal to or greater than 2,500 square feet of land, as required by the Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance in Chapter 57 of the Arlington County Code, Stormwater Management Ordinance, Chapter 60 and the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Program.
If the area of land disturbance associated with multiple, separate projects within a two (2) year period meets the 2,500 square foot threshold, the LDA/SWM permit is also required.
The land disturbance and stormwater management permit is intended to reduce the pollution from sediment runoff and manage stormwater runoff from new development.
See Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater Permit – Frequently Asked Questions and the Department of Environmental Services consolidated development-related fee schedule. This permit application and review process is anticipated to move online in a future phase of Permit Arlington.
Fee schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for ISD, Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.
Do I Need a LDA/SWM Permit and How Do I Obtain One?
- If your total disturbed area is less than 2,000 square feet, you do not need a LDA permit.
- If your total disturbed area is between 2,000 and 2,499 square feet, you will be required to obtain a survey of the disturbed area with survey markings on your site to ensure it’s not larger than 2,500 square feet. Prior to receiving your permit, silt fence or other E&S perimeter control approved by the County must be installed around the perimeter of your disturbed area to demarcate the area and prevent soil erosion.
LDA/SWM Permit Requirements
Note: This permit application and review process is anticipated to move online in a future phase of Permit Arlington.
- Apply for a LDA/SWM permit via the ePlan Review Portal. Consult the Building and LDA Permit Quick Reference Guide.
- Review the LDA/SWM permit Minimum Acceptance Checklist.
3. Submit an erosion and sediment control plan for your project.
4. Submit a landscape conservation plan.
5. Design stormwater management for your project using the resources provided below:
- Stormwater Management Ordinance Guidance Manual (revised 7/2019)
- Appendix A – Stormwater Facility Maintenance and Monitoring Agreement (revised 4/2019)
- Appendix B – Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (revised 9/2016)
- Appendix C/D – Water Quality Impact Assessment Data Sheet and Exception Request Form
- Appendix E – Tree Canopy Requirements (revised 12/2019)
- Appendix F – Tree Protection and Planting Standards (renamed from Planting Notes and Details)
- Standard Details for Permeable Pavement and Urban Bioretention (revised 7/2019)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method New Development Compliance Spreadsheet (Updated 10/2017)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Redevelopment Compliance Spreadsheet (Updated 3/2019)
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Minimum Acceptance Checklist (revised 2/2018)
- Water Quantity Energy Balance Worksheet
- Building Code Guidelines for Stormwater Planter Boxes
- Bioretention Sizing Spreadsheet (revised 4/2015)
- Use of Structural Stormwater Treatment Systems (Revised 3/2018)
- Sump Pump and Drainage Connection Policy
- Tree Replacement Guidelines
Streamlined Stormwater Management Program for Moderate-Scale Single-Family Projects – Continued for 2019
In 2018, Arlington County developed a program to simplify stormwater compliance, shorten review time and reduce compliance costs for moderate-scale single-family home projects.
Stormwater Management Construction Tips and Guidance
- Appendix G – Construction Inspection Checklists and As-Built Certifications for Various Stormwater Facilities (revised 3/2020)
- Erosion and Sediment Control Supplement (4/2015)
- Pre-storm Erosion and Sediment Control Checklist (8/2020)
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Supplement (4/2015)
- Request a Forestry Construction Inspection (online form)
- Stormwater Facility Certification Requirements for specific types of facilities:
Notices to Industry and Frequently Asked Questions
The Notices to Industry page includes notices about stormwater management requirements in Arlington and some Frequently Asked Questions.
General VPDES Permit for Discharges (for projects with land disturbance of 1 acre or more)
- General Construction Permit Fact Sheet
- General Construction Permit Mark Up
- Registration Statement
- Notice of Termination
- Transfer of Ownership Agreement Form
- General Construction Permit Fee Form