An elevator permit is required for the installations and alteration of elevators, cranes or escalators, and material or personnel hoists.
Note: In-person applications are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 health crisis and Permit Office closure.
- You must complete an Elevator Permit Application.
- Shop drawings are required for all new installations and some modernizations, showing equipment layouts, shafts, pits and elevator machine rooms.
- To apply online:
- Submit application via email to ISDelevators@arlingtonva.us.
- Include one permit application per email.
- If applicable, include plans and supporting documents for each application. The maximum attachment(s) size is 25MB.
- If multiple emails are required due to file size limitations, please use the same Subject line and indicate there are multiple emails (i.e., 1 of 3),
- To apply on paper:
- Submit application in person at the Arlington County Permit Office.
- View Fee Schedules and Payment Methods.
- This permit, and ongoing certifications, can be paid for online. Access the online payment portal.
Fee schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.