Requesting a demolition or removal of a building is a multi-step process.
You must complete a Demolition Permit application in Permit Arlington. Click “Create” and select “Building Application.”
- Review Permit Arlington online submission guidelines, which include document sizing and layout, recommended file naming conventions, and file type requirements.
- With your application you are required to upload:
- Copies of all Neighbor Notification Letters. Written notice of demolition must be delivered to the owner of each potentially affected adjoining lot, building, or structure at least one (1) week prior to starting demolition.
- Water/Sewer Account Closure Letter from Utility Services (if the structure is served by water or sanitary sewer service).
- The existing sewer lateral must be capped at the property line by the owner and inspected by the Inspection Services Division. You will need a separate Plumbing/Gas Permit for the sewer cap-off before you submit the Demolition Permit application.
- If the sanitary sewer lateral will be capped at the main, as opposed to at the property line, right-of-way permits (e.g., Excavation Right-of-Way Permit) must be obtained prior to starting the work of capping.
- Issuance of a Demolition Permit constitutes an implied request as well as permission from the building owner for discontinuance of the water service connection. As a courtesy, temporary use of the water service will be allowed for construction purposes only. A separate request for a temporary construction account must be made with the Utility Services Customer Care Center.
- Disconnect Letter from the Electrical Provider OR Owner Certification – Structure Not Served by Utility, depending upon whether the structure to be demolished is served by electricity.
- Disconnect Letter from Gas Provider OR Owner Certification – Structure Not Served by Utility, depending upon whether the structure to be demolished is served by gas.
- Asbestos Awareness Form.
- Depending on the amount of land disturbed, the following will be required:
- If the disturbed land is between 1 to 2,499 sq. ft., then a certified plat delineating the area of disturbance must be uploaded.
- If the disturbed land is 2,500 or more sq. ft., a separate Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater (LDA/SWM) Permit must be approved before the Demolition Permit can be issued.
- If any of the area is in a Chesapeake Bay Resource Protection Area or the disturbed land is 2,500 or more sq. ft., the applicant must comply with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance.
- Certified plan showing boundary and building (if the structure to be demolished is part of a site plan or other type of special exception project).
- Affidavit of Permit Authorization. (Unless the permit holder is the contractor licensed in Virginia for the scope of work on the permit OR the permit holder is the property owner and the applicant, the party that applies for the Demolition Permit will need a Permit Authorization Affidavit.)
- A copy of the deed or the closing disclosure form (if the property owner is different from the one listed in the database of Arlington County’s Department of Real Estate Assessments).
- Register or log in to Permit Arlington to submit a Demolition Permit application.
- How-to videos, FAQs, and more are available here.
- Applications and uploaded documents will be checked for compliance with requirements.
- Commercial projects take up to five (5) business days to review.
- Residential projects take up to two (2) business days to review.
- Review times do not include the final processing windows.
- You will receive an email with further instructions if your application or uploaded documents are incomplete or not compliant with requirements.
- Applicants will receive an email with any review comments.
- View the Permit Revisions webpage to learn how to respond to comments and revise the application or documents.
Changes to applications previously submitted in paper or email
- If the permit was not assigned a permit number, please submit a new application in Permit Arlington.
- If the permit was assigned a permit number, create a Permit Arlington account. Contact technical support with your account name, permit number, and the job address to access the permit in the Permit Arlington system.
- After required reviews and revisions are completed, contractor information will be verified and permit fees will be calculated.
- You will receive an email with final processing information within two (2) business days that includes a permit fee balance to pay online.
Approvals and printing
- Once payment is received, you will receive a digital copy of the permit and placard through your Permit Arlington account.
- The applicant is responsible for printing the permit and placard.
- Demolition may not begin until permits have been issued and posted.
Once your permits have been approved, you must schedule inspections to ensure the safety and proper progress of the project.
Upon completion of the demolition, you must schedule a final inspection to close out the Demolition Permit. To schedule this inspection, you must use the Permit Arlington customer portal.
- View fee schedules and payment methods.
- Pay fees online through your account in the Permit Arlington customer portal.
Fee schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements, and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for the Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning, and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.