Requesting a demolition or removal of a building is a multi-step process and several requirements must be satisfied before the permit can be applied for.
Prior to approval of submitting an application for a demolition permit, the following conditions must be met or agreed upon:
- A letter from the following service providers stating that the service connections and attached equipment (such as meters and regulators) have been removed or sealed and plugged in a safe manner:
- Electrical service
- Gas service
- Water and sewer service (account must be closed and the final bill must be paid). The issuance of a demolition permit constitutes an implied request as well as permission from the building owner for discontinuance of the water service connection. As a courtesy, temporary use of the water service connection will be allowed for construction purposes only if requested in writing.
- The existing sewer lateral must be capped at the property line by the owner and inspected by the County. A separate plumbing permit is required.
- You must complete an Asbestos Removal/Abatement Certificate.
- A rodent infestation certificate of treatment is required to be submitted with this sheet prior to issuance of a demolition permit. The certificate of treatment must meet the following requirements:
- It must be on a letterhead, invoice, work order or report with the company’s information that performed treatment.
- It must state the property has been inspected. It cannot state that it will be.
- It must state the property has been baited. It cannot state that it will be.
- It must state there were no signs of rodents on site after treatment.
- It must state that the property will be baited for a minimum of 6 months.
- The issuance of a demolition permit constitutes an implied request as well as permission from the owner of the building for discontinuance of the water service connection. As a courtesy, temporary use of the water service connection will be allowed for construction purposes only if requested in writing.
- If the disturbed land exceeds 2,500 sq. ft. (Land Disturbing Activity Permit), or if any of the area is in a Chesapeake Bay Resource Protection Area, the applicant must comply with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance.
- Unless the permit holder is the contractor licensed in Virginia for the scope of work on the permit OR the permit holder is the property owner and present for all steps of the permitting process, the party that applies for and/or picks up the permit will need to have a Permit Authorization Affidavit.
Once the above requirements are complete:
- You must complete a Request for Demolition or Removal of Building Application.
Once your permits have been approved, you must schedule inspections to ensure the safety and proper progress of the project.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.