Civil Engineering Plan (CEP) Review and Approval Process
Civil Engineering Plans (CEP) are to be submitted electronically for review and approval.
The submitter has the option of meeting with key reviewers and a Plan Coordinator to acquire more information about the submission, review and approval process during the pre-submission meeting.
View the Minimum Acceptance Criteria (MAC) and Guidelines document for CEPs. The document is to be used as an aid in the preparation of CEPs. The MAC and Guidelines can also be emailed to the submitter on request.
The Minimum Acceptance Criteria provides a list of items required for a thorough review.
Civil Engineering Plan (CEP) review applications must be submitted online.
- You must complete an Civil Engineering Plan (CEP) Application.
- From the Create drop-down menu, select Building Application.
- The Plan Coordination Group Supervisor will assign the plan to a Plan Coordinator, who will start the review cycle.
- The plan will be checked for items in the MAC. If the plan has the required items, it will be accepted for first review. If the plan does not have all the required items for review, it will be disapproved and comments will be generated.
- If the plan is not accepted, the submitter may request a meeting with the assigned Plan Coordinator. This meeting will give the submitter and the assigned Plan Coordinator an opportunity to discuss comments and the resubmission of the plan.
- Once the plan is accepted for first review, the assigned Plan Coordinator will assign the plan to the Key Reviewers of those Review Groups that need to review the plan.
- The Key Reviewers will assign the plan to other Reviewers within their groups, if required. The reviewers will review the plan and create comments and markups within the designated amount of time for review. They will coordinate with any appropriate individuals to resolve conflicts within their groups. The final decision and the comments will be sent to the assigned Plan Coordinators electronically.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will look for any remaining conflicts and resolve conflicting comments prior to returning the markups and comments to the submitter.
- The review fees are calculated and an online payment notification link will be sent to the submitter and must be paid prior to second payment will not be required prior to second submission if the Plan Coordinator notices significant design changes may be required due to the reviewers comments.
- After the first review is complete, if disapproved, the assigned Plan Coordinator will generate a document (letter) with all the comments and create a plan set comprising of marked-up sheets. The assigned Plan Coordinator will publish these documents through Permit Arlington. A notification email will be sent to the Submitter about the disapproval of the plan.
- Post-first review meeting is optional with reviewers who generated comments. A meeting can be scheduled with the assigned Plan Coordinator. At this meeting the submitter can discuss open comments with reviewers.
- After the first review is complete, if accepted, the assigned Plan Coordinator will send the plan to the appropriate designee for electronic approval.
- The submitter will upload only the revised plan sheets to the Permit Arlington portal maintaining the same file names as the first submission uploads. Additionally, a comment response letter addressing all outstanding reviewers’ comments must be uploaded as a combined file. The previously uploaded sheets must not be deleted unless requested by the assigned Plan Coordinator.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will check that all appropriate documents are uploaded in order to distribute the plan to reviewers for second review.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will check the response letter to see that all comments have been addressed.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will assign the plan to reviewers with open comments.
- If there are significant design changes to the scope of the project, a narrative of the changes must be uploaded, so that the assigned Plan Coordinator can determine whether additional reviews are required and/or whether the review time may have to be extended.
- The assigned Plan Coordinator will look for and resolve conflicting comments.
- After the second review is complete, if disapproved, the assigned Plan Coordinator will generate a document with all the comments and create a plan set comprised of marked-up sheets. The assigned Plan Coordinator will publish these documents through Permit Arlington. A notification email will be sent to the submitter about the disapproval of the plan.
- Post-second review meeting is required with reviewers who generated comments. A meeting must be scheduled with the assigned Plan Coordinator. At this meeting the submitter will discuss outstanding comments with reviewers.
- Additionally, the submitter has the option of reaching out to individual reviewers with questions and concerns. In that case the assigned Plan Coordinators also need to be included in the communication.
- If there are still unresolved comments after the second review and the plan requires changes, the plan will go for a third review.
- After the second review is complete, if accepted, the assigned Plan Coordinator will send the plan to the appropriate designee for electronic approval.
Third and Subsequent Reviews
For third review, follow steps listed under Second Review. Another post-submission meeting is required after each subsequent review till the plan is accepted/approved.
Once the plan is electronically approved, it will be published through the Permit Arlington system and the submitter will be notified.
Revision to Approved CEPs are started from an approved permit in the My Records page and there is a workaround to a known issue when applying.
Review Times for Each Review Cycle
|1st Review Cycle (Business Days)||Additional Review Cycle (Business Days)||Final Approval (Sign& Stamp) (Business Days)|
|Full Civil Engineering Set||30||20||5|
|Erosion & Sediment Control||30||20||5|
|Maintenance of Traffic Plans||20||15||5|