An Asbestos Removal/Abatement Permit must be obtained from Arlington County prior to the removal or disturbance of any asbestos-containing materials during the construction or demolition of a building or structure, including additions.
NOTE: Asbestos removal also requires a separate permit from the Commonwealth of Virginia.
You must complete an Asbestos Removal/Abatement Permit application in Permit Arlington. Click “Create” and select “Building Application.”
- Review Permit Arlington online submission guidelines, which include document sizing and layout, recommended file naming conventions, and file type requirements.
- The permit holder, who may be different from the applicant, must be a Licensed Asbestos Contractor with a valid business license.
- Register or log in to Permit Arlington to submit an Asbestos Removal/Abatement Permit application.
- How-to videos, FAQs, and more are available here.
- Applications will be checked for completeness within two (2) business days.
- You will receive an email with further instructions if your application is incomplete or not compliant with requirements.
- Applicants will receive an email with any review comments and should update the application accordingly.
Changes to applications previously submitted in paper or email
- If the application was not assigned a permit number, please submit a new application in Permit Arlington.
- If the application was assigned a permit number, create a Permit Arlington account. Contact technical support with your account name, permit number, and the job address to access the permit in the Permit Arlington system.
- After required reviews and revisions are completed, contractor information will be verified and permit fees will be calculated.
- You will receive an email with final processing information within two (2) business days that includes a permit fee balance to pay online.
Approvals and printing
- Once payment is received, you will receive a digital copy of the permit through your Permit Arlington account.
- The applicant is responsible for printing the permit and placard. Removal/abatement may not begin until permits have been issued and posted.
Upon the removal or abatement of asbestos, the Asbestos Removal/Abatement Certification must be submitted through the Permit Arlington portal. This form serves as a record of completion of work in lieu of an inspection by the County, which does not perform asbestos inspections.
Asbestos inspections must, however, be scheduled with the Commonwealth of Virginia.