Which permits can be applied for online?
There are three ways to apply for a permit online.
- Permit Arlington
- ePlan Review
- Email submission
Use the apply online guide to determine which method(s) applies to your permit type.
How can I get technical support?
Technical support is available online, by phone, by email or in-person. The help desk hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The Arlington County Permit Office closes at noon every third Thursday.
- Online: Submit a request for technical support. You will receive a response within 1 business day.
- Phone: 703-228-7638
- Email: PermitTechSupport@arlingtonva.us
- In-person customer service: Arlington County Permit Office
Permit Arlington FAQs
Visit the Permit Arlington Help page for FAQs, how-to videos, and more.
ePlan Review FAQs
- For which permits do I use ePlan Review?
- Where can I find step-by-step instructions for ePlan Review applications?
- Are there requirements for using the ePlan Review portal?
- Can I apply for a Land Disturbing Activity (LDA) permit prior to a building permit when both are required for a project?
- Can I pay permit fees online?
- Why does the County require a blank square at a corner of each submitted sheet?
- I’m having trouble uploading a file. What should I do?
- What does it mean when plans are waived?
- What are the requirements for the building permit set that should be printed once a permit is issued?
For which permits do I use ePlan Review?
- Commercial Building Permit
- Residential Building Permit
- Land Disturbing Activity (LDA)/Stormwater Permit
Where can I find step-by-step instructions for ePlan Review applications?
Consult the Building and LDA Permit Quick Reference Guide.
Are there requirements for using the ePlan Review portal?
Yes. See the ePlan Review Submission Guidelines.
Can I apply for a Land Disturbing Activity (LDA) permit prior to a building permit when both are required for a project?
Yes. It’s recommended that you apply for the LDA Permit before, or at the same time as, the building permit. Staff will need to approve and issue the LDA permit before they can issue the building permit.
Can I pay permit fees online?
Yes, but only if you applied for the permit online. View Fee Schedules to determine which fees apply.
- Is the file password protected?
- If yes, we suggest removing the password before trying to upload.
- Is the file a PDF?
- If not, convert it to a PDF before you upload.
- Is the file large in size?
- The system may time out before the upload finishes. Consider reducing the file size before uploading.
- Still having trouble?
- Request technical support online, by email, or by phone. See contact information above.
What does it mean when plans are waived?
The ePlan Review system automatically waives plans, instead of rejecting them, if one or more reviewer(s) could not review the plans within the review cycle. Applicants will not receive comments from these reviewers. Applicants should respond to all outstanding comments received from other disciplines and resubmit revised plans as usual. The reviewers that waived the previously submitted plans will look at the revised, updated plans.
What are the requirements for the building permit set that should be printed once a permit is issued?
After permit issuance, the applicant must print an approved permit set that meets the following requirements:
- Permit set must be kept at construction site prior to scheduling the first inspection
- Residential construction drawing sets should be printed on a minimum sheet size of 11 in. x 17 in.
- Commercial construction drawing sets should be printed on a minimum sheet size of 18 in. x 24 in.
- Plans should be of legible and easily readable scale
- Other than site plan drawings, no drawing should be printed at a scale smaller than 1/8 in. = 1 ft. 0 in.
- Supporting documentation such as project specifications, manufacturer’s product data sheets and structural calculations may be printed on 8 ½ in. x 11 in. sheets
Contact us by phone or email.