ePlan Review is an online system for reviewing and approving plans. Through ePlan Review, you can obtain the following types of permits:
- Commercial Building Permit
- Residential Building Permit
- Land Disturbing Activity (LDA) / Stormwater Permit
For step-by-step application instructions, consult the Building and LDA Permit Quick Reference Guide. This guide can also be used to transition from a paper application to an online application.
Follow the ePlan Review guidelines below to ensure a successful online application.
- ePlan Review Submission Requirements
- Maximum files size: There are no size limitations to documents submitted online.
- Typical sheet sizes:
- 11 in. x 17 in.
- 24 in. x 36 in.
- Sheet orientation: Landscape only.
- Scalable vector drawings: While scanned images are accepted, every effort should be made to submit scalable vector drawings.
- No encryption or passwords: Placing encryption or passwords on files generates an error that prevents staff from viewing the files.
- Upload as individual files; save as searchable PDFs: Upload files individually through the ePlan Review portal. The construction set should NOT be submitted as one file. Save all documents submitted for review as searchable PDF files.
- Retain file names: File names must remain the same throughout the submittal and re-submittal processes. If you change file names, the County will reject your plan re-submission.
- Do not “version” or rename files when uploading and resubmitting files. The electronic plan review software will automatically track and add a revision number in the system that can be viewed once uploading is complete.
- Do not delete files: Files should not be deleted between revisions unless the submitted file is being completely removed from the permit set.
- Utilize naming conventions:
- To facilitate uploading your files and ensure your plans are placed in the correct order for the final compiled plan set, use the standard file naming conventions below.
- Comment response letter: Submit a comment response letter with each permit revision. This letter should address all outstanding County comments and any additional revisions to the plan set. Upload the letter as a PDF file with the revised sheets.
- 3 in. x 3 in. blank space: A 3 in. x 3 in. blank space is required at the top-right corner of each submitted document. This space is for Arlington County’s approval stamp, which is applied at permit issuance.
Standard File Naming Conventions
When naming plans for building and land disturbance permits, follow the conventions below. Doing so will facilitate uploading of your files and re-review in the event of re-submission. Using the file naming conventions will also ensure that your plans are placed in the correct order in the final plan set.
- ePlan Review Standard File Naming Conventions
- Discipline code: A (Architectural)
- Sheet number: 000‐099 (General Site Information)
- Descriptor: Architectural Cover Sheet General Information
- File name: Using the standard file naming conventions, the first page under Architectural general information would be A‐001 Architectural Cover Sheet General Information.pdf.
Note that the system will not recognize spaces or other characters separating discipline and sheet type. Use only a single dash (-) to separate discipline and sheet type.
CODE Discipline A Architectural AD Architectural Demolition AI Architectural Interiors M Mechanical E Electrical P Plumbing EN Energy S Structural F Fire Protection C Civil L Landscape T Telecommunications FS Food Service SG Signage/Graphics X Other Disciplines Z Contractor Shop Drawings SERIES SHEET 000‐099 General and site information: Include
drawing index, code analysis,
modification and variance documents,
site plans and site details, and other
100‐199 Plans: Floor plans 200-299 Building elevations and sections: Exterior
elevations and transverse building
300‐399 Enlarged plan and sections: Vertical
circulation, core plans and details
400‐499 Reflected ceiling plans 500‐599 Exterior envelope and details: Large
scale details and sections
600‐699 Architectural interiors 700‐799 Schedules and diagrams 800‐899 User defined 900‐999 3D representations
Approval and Printing
- Permit is approved and issued: When a permit is approved and issued, County staff will create an approved construction document set. This set will be available for the applicant’s use on the ePlan Review portal.
- Print the approved construction document set: The applicant is responsible for printing the approved construction document set and having it available on site prior to the first scheduled inspection.
Technical support is available online, by phone, by email or in-person. The help desk hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The Arlington County Permit Office closes at noon every third Thursday.