An administrative change is any minor modification of an approved site plan or use permit which complies with the Zoning Ordinance, the intent of the County Board in its approval of the site plan or use permit and the general purpose of the comprehensive plan for the development of the area. Administrative change requests are reviewed and approved by the Zoning Administrator per the Zoning Ordinance §15.5.3.C. Requests can take up to 30 days to process.
For questions about administrative change requests, contact the Zoning Division: 703-228-3883.
Note: In-person applications are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 health crisis and Permit Office closure. Mailed applications for this permit will be accepted.
- You must complete an Administrative Change Request Application.
- Include with your application:
- A description of requested changes;
- A statement of support that includes a description of how the requested changes complies with the spirit and intent of the County Board approval as well as comparisons of building footprints, setbacks, heights and materials as appropriate;
- Any requests to modify building footprints, setbacks, heights and building façade materials and/or transparency must be accompanied by plats, tables, and/or drawings marked to show both the original approval and requested changes;
- A letter of consent from the property owner acknowledging the specific changes requested; and
- Drawings, renderings, photos, material samples, and any other information that will assist the staff in its review.
- Drawings, renderings, and other photo materials must be:
- No smaller than 11″ x 17″ and no larger than 24″ x 36″; and
- Submitted in duplicate or in sets of four (4) for landscape changes.
- Requests to modify or add outdoor seating area(s) must be accompanied by a certified plat showing property lines, any easements and sidewalk clear width for the area impacted.
- To apply online:
- Submit the application and supporting materials to email@example.com.
- To apply on paper:
- Mail application documents to: Zoning Division, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1000, Arlington, VA, 22201.
- Submit application in person at the Arlington County Permit Office.
- View Fee Schedules and Payment Methods.
- This permit, and ongoing certifications, can be paid for online. Access the online payment portal.
Fee schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.