An administrative change is any minor modification of an approved site plan or use permit which complies with the Zoning Ordinance, the intent of the County Board in its approval of the site plan or use permit and the general purpose of the comprehensive plan for the development of the area. Administrative change requests are reviewed and approved by the Zoning Administrator per the Zoning Ordinance §15.5.3.C. Requests can take up to 30 days to process.
Administrative change requests may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without email access can mail the application and documents to: Zoning Division, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1000, Arlington, VA, 22201.
Staff will coordinate the acceptance and payment procedures for completed applications with applicant, as well as coordinate the review with internal partners and applicants.
The permit application and review process is anticipated to move online in 2020, as part of Permit Arlington.
- You must complete an Administrative Change Request Application.
- Description of requested changes.
- Statement of support: includes a description of how the requested changes complies with the spirit and intent of the County Board approval as well as comparisons of building footprints, setbacks, heights and materials as appropriate.
- Requests to modify building footprints, setbacks, heights and building façade materials and/or transparency must be accompanied by plats, tables, and/or drawings marked to show both the original approval and requested changes.
- Drawings smaller than 11 in. x 17 in. or larger than 24 in. x 36 in. will not be accepted.
- Drawings, renderings, photos, material samples and any other information that will assist the staff in its review must be submitted in duplicate, or in sets of four (4) for landscape changes.
- Requests to modify or add an outdoor seating area must be accompanied by a certified plat showing property lines, any easements and sidewalk clear width for the area impacted.
- Filing fee (see below).
- Letter of consent from the property owner acknowledging the specific changes requested.
- For questions about administrative change requests, contact the Zoning Division: 703-228-3883.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.