A Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater permit is required for any activities that disturb equal to or greater than 2,500 square feet of land, as required by the Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance in Chapter 57 of the Arlington County Code, Stormwater Management Ordinance, Chapter 60, and the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Program.
If the area of land disturbance associated with multiple, separate projects within a two (2) year period meets the 2,500 square foot threshold, the LDA/SWM permit is also required.
The land disturbance and stormwater management permit is intended to reduce the pollution from sediment runoff and manage stormwater runoff from new development.
Do I Need a LDA/SWM Permit and How Do I Obtain One?
- If your total disturbed area is less than 2,000 square feet, you do not need an LDA permit.
- If your total disturbed area is between 2,000-2,499 square feet, you may need to obtain a survey of the disturbed area with survey markings on your site to ensure it’s not larger than 2,500 square feet.
LDA/SWM Permit Requirements
- Apply for a LDA/SWM Permit via the ePlan Review Portal.
- Review the LDA/SWM permit Minimum Acceptance Checklist
3. Submit an erosion and sediment control plan for your project.
4. Submit a landscape conservation plan.
5. Design stormwater management for your project using the resources provided below:
- Stormwater Management Ordinance Guidance Manual(revised 4/2019)
- Appendix A – Stormwater Facility Maintenance and Monitoring Agreement (revised 4/2019)
- Appendix B – Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (revised 9/2016)
- Appendix C/D – Water Quality Impact Assessment Data Sheet and Exception Request Form
- Appendix E – Tree Canopy Requirements (revised 4/2019)
- Appendix F – Tree Protection and Planting Standards (renamed from Planting Notes and Details)
- Standard Details for Permeable Pavement and Urban Bioretention (revised 4/2019)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method New Development Compliance Spreadsheet (Updated 10/2017)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Redevelopment Compliance Spreadsheet (Updated 3/2019)
- Water Quantity Energy Balance Worksheet
- Building Code Guidelines for Stormwater Planter Boxes
- Bioretention Sizing Spreadsheet (revised 4/2015)
- Use of Structural Stormwater Treatment Systems(Revised 3/2018)
- Sump Pump and Drainage Connection Policy
Stormwater Management Construction Tips and Guidance
- Appendix G – Construction Inspection Checklists and As-Built Certifications for Various Stormwater Facilities (revised 4/2019)
- Erosion and Sediment Control Supplement (4/2015)
- Pre-storm Erosion & Sediment Control Checklist(8/2015)
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Supplement (New 4/2015)
- Stormwater Facility Certification Requirements for specific types of facilities:
Notices to Industry and Frequently Asked Questions
The Notices to Industry page includes notices about stormwater management requirements in Arlington and some Frequently Asked Questions.