This page has information about the Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater permit requirements for building projects. Please see the Notice to Industry regarding new LDA/SWM requirements for single family homes that will take effect later this year.
The County adopted a new Stormwater Management Ordinance, Chapter 60 in response to comprehensive new Virginia stormwater regulations which became effective in 2014.
Stormwater management plays a major role in Arlington’s efforts toward flood resiliency.
Do I Need a LDA/SWM 2.0 Permit and How Do I Obtain One?
- If your total disturbed area is less than 2,000 square feet, you do not need a LDA permit.
- If your total disturbed area is between 2,000 and 2,499 square feet, you may need to obtain a survey of the disturbed area with survey markings on your site to ensure it’s not larger than 2,500 square feet.
LDA/SWM 2.0 Permit Requirements
Note: This permit application and review process is anticipated to move online in a future phase of Permit Arlington.
1. Apply for a LDA/SWM permit via the ePlan Review Portal.
2. Review the LDA/SWM permit Minimum Acceptance Checklist.
3. Submit an erosion and sediment control plan for your project.
4. Submit a landscape conservation plan.
5. Design stormwater management for your project using the resources provided on the LDA/SWM Permit page. There are three options for applying for the LDA/SWM 2.0 permit.
Stormwater Management Construction Tips and Guidance
- Appendix G – Construction Inspection Checklists and As-Built Certifications for Various Stormwater Facilities (revised 3/2020)
- Erosion and Sediment Control Supplement (4/2015)
- Pre-storm Erosion and Sediment Control Checklist(8/2020)
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Supplement (new 4/2015)
- Request a Forestry Construction Inspection (online form)
- Stormwater Facility Certification Requirements for specific types of facilities:
Notices to Industry and Frequently Asked Questions
The Notices to Industry page includes notices about stormwater management requirements in Arlington and some Frequently Asked Questions.
General VPDES Permit for Discharges (for projects with land disturbance of 1 acre or more)
- General Construction Permit Fact Sheet
- General Construction Permit Mark Up
- Registration Statement
- Notice of Termination
- Transfer of Ownership Agreement Form
- General Construction Permit Fee Form