This page has information about the Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater permit requirements for building projects.
The County adopted a new Stormwater Management Ordinance, Chapter 60 in response to comprehensive new Virginia stormwater regulations which became effective in 2014.
Stormwater management plays a major role in Arlington’s efforts toward flood resiliency.
Do I Need a LDA/SWM Permit and How Do I Obtain One?
- If your total disturbed area is less than 2,000 square feet, you do not need a LDA permit.
- If your total disturbed area is between 2,000 and 2,499 square feet, you may need to obtain a survey of the disturbed area with survey markings on your site to ensure it’s not larger than 2,500 square feet.
LDA/SWM Permit Requirements
Note: The permit application and review process is anticipated to move online in 2020, as part of Permit Arlington.
1. Apply for a LDA/SWM permit via the ePlan Review Portal.
2. Review the LDA/SWM permit Minimum Acceptance Checklist.
3. Submit an erosion and sediment control plan for your project.
4. Submit a landscape conservation plan.
5. Design stormwater management for your project using the resources provided below:
- Stormwater Management Ordinance Guidance Manual (revised 7/2019)
- Appendix A – Stormwater Facility Maintenance and Monitoring Agreement (revised 4/2019)
- Appendix B – Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (revised 9/2016)
- Appendix C/D – Water Quality Impact Assessment Data Sheet and Exception Request Form
- Appendix E – Tree Canopy Requirements (revised 4/2019)
- Appendix F – Tree Protection and Planting Standards (renamed from Planting Notes and Details)
- Standard Details for Permeable Pavement and Urban Bioretention (revised 7/2019)
- Building Code Guidelines for Stormwater Planter Boxes
- Bioretention Sizing Spreadsheet (revised 4/2015)
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Minimum Acceptance Checklist (revised 2/2018)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method New Development Compliance Spreadsheet (updated 10/2017)
- Virginia Runoff Reduction Method Redevelopment Compliance Spreadsheet (updated 3/2019)
- Water Quantity Energy Balance Worksheet
- Use of Structural Stormwater Treatment Systems (revised 3/2018)
- Sump Pump and Drainage Connection Policy
- Tree Replacement Guidelines
Streamlined Stormwater Management Program for Moderate-Scale Single-Family Projects – Continued for 2019
In 2018, Arlington County developed a program to simplify stormwater compliance, shorten review time and reduce compliance costs for moderate-scale single-family home projects.
Stormwater Management Construction Tips and Guidance
- Appendix G – Construction Inspection Checklists and As-Built Certifications for Various Stormwater Facilities (revised 7/2019)
- Erosion and Sediment Control Supplement (4/2015)
- Pre-Storm Erosion & Sediment Control Checklist (8/2015)
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Supplement (new 4/2015)
- Stormwater Facility Certification Requirements for specific types of facilities:
Notices to Industry and Frequently Asked Questions
The Notices to Industry page includes notices about stormwater management requirements in Arlington and some Frequently Asked Questions.