Building code and property maintenance appeals can be filed for two reasons:
- The appeal of a decision of the building official or the property maintenance official concerning the application of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) to such building or structure, or
- The appeal of a refusal by the building official or the property maintenance official to grant a modification to the provisions of the VUSBC pertaining to such building or structure
An appeal may be filed by the owner of the building or structure in question, the owner’s agent or any other person involved in the design, construction or maintenance of a building or structure.
Your violation notice will detail whether you need to file an appeal with the Local Board of Building Code Appeals (LBBCA) or the Virginia Maintenance Code (VMC), as well as how much time you have to file:
- LBBCA: building code violations
- Time limit to file: within 30 calendar days of receipt of the decision
- VMC: part III of the building code
- Time limit to file: within 14 calendar days after the notice is served and filing fee is paid
Note: In-person applications are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 health crisis and Permit Office closure.
- You must complete a Building Code Appeal Application.
- Include with your application:
- A copy of the building official or property maintenance official’s decision
- Name and address of the owner of the building or structure
- Name and address of the person appealing, when the applicant is not the owner
- Any supporting documents
- To apply online:
- Submit the application via email: ISDTradePermits@arlingtonva.us
- Include one permit application per email.
- If applicable, include plans and supporting documents for each application. The maximum attachment(s) size is 25MB.
- If multiple emails are required due to file size limitations, please use the same Subject line and indicate there are multiple emails (i.e., 1 of 3)
- To apply on paper:
- Submit the application in person at the Arlington County Permit Office.
- View Fee Schedules and Payment Methods
- This permit can be paid for online. Access the online payment portal.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.
About the LBBCA
The LBBCA consists of six members appointed by the County Board. All hearings are open meetings, and the appellant, the appellant’s representative, the locality’s representative and any person whose interests are affected by the building official’s decision in question are given an opportunity to be heard. The chairperson has the power and duty to direct the hearing, rule upon the acceptance of evidence and oversee the record of all proceedings.
The LBBCA has the power to uphold, reverse or modify the decision of the official by a concurring vote of a majority of those present. Decisions shall be final if no further appeal is made. Decisions are made by resolution signed by the chairperson and retained as part of the record of the appeal. Copies of the resolution will be sent to all parties by certified mail.