The building code is the set of rules that specify design and construction standards for buildings and structures:
For access to the full text of the VUSBC, visit the International Code Council’s public access site.
If you have questions related to VUSBC requirements, you may take advantage of our Code Consultation service.
For guidance on construction design parameters and code editions:
Building Code and Property Maintenance Appeals
Building code and property maintenance appeals can be filed for two reasons:
- The appeal of a decision of the building official or the property maintenance official concerning the application of the VUSBC to such building or structure
- The appeal of a refusal by the building official or the property maintenance official to grant a modification to the provisions of the VUSBC pertaining to such building or structure
Code Interpretation and Policy
Arlington County’s Chief Building Official has the sole responsibility of interpreting and enforcing the VUSBC. When clarity is needed on provisions of the VUSBC, the Chief Building Official will publish an interpretation for the specific issue. Decisions and interpretations may be appealed to the Local Board of Building Code Appeals in accordance with VUSBC.
- May 2018: Updated Registered Design Professional Policy
- Jan. 2017: Short-Term Stay in Multi-Family Buildings (Airbnb, Craigslist, VRBO, etc.)
- Sept. 2016: Third Party Inspectors
- May 2015: Wireless First Responder Network | Related: Certificate of Radio Coverage Compliance