Updated April 29, 2020 8:00 p.m.
The Arlington County Permit Office is CLOSED for in-person customer service. The closure is one of many steps that Arlington County Government is taking to help mitigate and reduce any unnecessary exposure and spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Many services remain available online.
- Meetings and customer interactions will take place virtually to the fullest extent possible.
- Most inspections may be completed virtually. Learn more.
- Permits and applications available in Permit Arlington or ePlan Review, including building permits, must be submitted online.
- Other permit and application types are now available via email. If applicable, plans should be submitted with application (max. file size 25MB).
- Administrative change requests should be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- Mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fire, demolition, asbestos abatement, code modifications, and code appeals must be submitted via email to ISDtradepermits@arlingtonva.us.
- Elevator permits must be submitted via email to ISDelevators@arlingtonva.us.
- Accessory dwelling, family/caregiver suite and dance hall permits must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BZA applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- Note: The May 13 hearing has been canceled. The status of future hearing dates will continue to be updated on the BZA webpage.
- Zoning complaints must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All other Zoning Division permits must be submitted via email to Contactzoning@arlingtonva.us.
- All other Dept. of Environmental Services permits must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- All in-person building-related inspections.
- All non-emergency Code Enforcement inspections .
- All non-emergency Zoning Enforcement inspections.
- All after-hours inspections.
- In-person payments (see below).
- All paper applications and in-person customer service for permits issued by the Inspection Services Division, Zoning Division, or Department of Environmental Services.
Modified phone services:
- Zoning Division staff will be able to retrieve voice messages left at 703-228-3883, but will not be answering phones.
- Department of Environmental Services staff will be able to retrieve voice messages about DES permitting and storm water inspections only.
- Customers in need of online permitting technical support are requested to submit help requests online.
- Online payment has been implemented for all permit and application types.
- In-person and mailed payments are suspended.
The County is currently maintaining published time frames, but this is subject to change as the situation evolves.
To view more information about other County service modifications, view the County’s COVID-19 cancellations page.