Updated April 2, 2020 7:20 a.m.
The Arlington County Permit Office is CLOSED for in-person customer service. The closure is one of many steps that Arlington County Government is taking to help mitigate and reduce any unnecessary exposure and spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Many services remain available online.
- Meetings and customer interactions will take place virtually to the fullest extent possible.
- Permits and applications available in Permit Arlington or ePlan Review can be submitted online.
- Most inspections may be completed virtually. Learn more.
- Administrative change requests should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All in-person building-related inspections.
- All non-emergency Code Enforcement inspections
- All non-emergency Zoning Enforcement inspections
- All after-hours inspections
- Submission of administrative change applications
- In-person payments (see below)
- All paper applications and in-person customer service for permits issued by the Inspection Services Division, Zoning Division, or Department of Environmental Services
- Building permits must be submitted online via ePlan.
- Mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fire, and elevator trade permits must be submitted via email. If applicable, plans should be submitted with application (max. file size 35MB).
- All other Inspection Services Division permits (demolition, asbestos abatement, code modifications, etc.) must be submitted via email to ISDTradePermits@arlingtonva.us.
- Accessory dwelling, family/caregiver suite and dance hall permits must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- BZA applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: The April 15 hearing has been canceled. Applications for the May 13th hearing are due by paper or email by March 18th. Future hearing dates will require application by email until further notice.
- Zoning complaints must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- All other Zoning Division permits must be submitted via email to Contactzoning@arlingtonva.us.
- All other Dept. of Environmental Services permits must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Modified phone services:
- Zoning Division: Staff will be able to retrieve voice messages left at 703-228-3883, but will not be answering phones.
- Department of Environmental Services: Staff will be able to retrieve voice messages about DES permitting and storm water inspections only.
- Customers in need of online permitting technical support are requested to submit help requests online.
- In-person payments are suspended.
- Online payment options should be used where applicable.
- All other payments should be paid by check via mail.
- The County will allow applicants to move inspections forward while payments are in process.
The County is currently maintaining published time frames, but this is subject to change as the situation evolves.
To view more information about other County service modifications, view the County’s COVID-19 cancellations page.