Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why is the County making this change?
- Applications are currently submitted via fax, mail and in-person. The current fax and mail submittal process is not as efficient. Staff are not able to respond to customers or process the application in a timely manner.
- The new email application process is more efficient. Customers will receive a response from staff within 2 business days.
How will the new submission process improve the in-person customer experience?
- In-person wait times for permitting services are anticipated to be reduced for all customers.
- Email applications are processed ahead of time. This helps to decrease the wait time for customers.
How will the County know if this is a positive change?
- The County is tracking two key data points to evaluate this process improvement. Indicators of success will be:
- Increase in percentage of trade permits submitted electronically
- Decrease in wait times for in-person services
What other customer-focused improvements is the County working on?
- Additional permitting process and customer experience enhancements are underway as part of the Permit Arlington (formerly known as One-Stop Arlington) program.
- Two primary outcomes of the One-Stop program will be a new online permitting system, and a centralized space for in-person customer visits. Both the physical and virtual spaces aim to achieve an intuitive, “one-stop” customer experience.
Where can I learn more about the future online permitting system?
Permit Arlington is the County’s enterprise-wide initiative to improve the customer experience and develop a new online permitting system. Learn more.