Just as you prepare your home and family for an impending storm, it’s important to prepare construction job sites. Planning ahead now can make a big difference in how well construction sites fare during the storm.
Please make sure that if the wind speed are expected to exceed 45 MPH, the tower crane is set for out of services operation and free to weathervane. This is a requirement as per our pre- construction manual.
Approximately 60 to 48 hours before a hurricane is expected to make landfall, consider canceling the delivery of building materials to all job sites except any materials needed to secure the building site from storm damage.
You are advised to activate your hurricane/storm job site plan during this window of time. Notify subcontractors to help secure the building site. Helpful hints for site protection include:
- Secure all job sites, giving priority attention to those located in the most populated areas
- Clean up all construction debris
- Tie or band together all loose plywood and lumber
- Secure other loose building supplies
- Remove permit board and all job site signage
- Locate and turn off electricity, water and gas
Also, secure all portable toilets. Portable toilets can also be anchored adjacent to L- shaped walls of the home under construction, and they can be weighted down with concrete blocks or sand.
For more information, see Weather – Storms & Flooding.