The Arlington County Board is completing its review of comments received at the three public meetings with the expectation that recommendations for a revised Noise Control Ordinance will be brought to the Board this Fall.” Learn more about the proposed changes to the ordinance here, and review the current noise ordinance here.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Civil penalties on violators after a warning is issued or posted on the premises.
- Criminal penalties for violations would increase from $25 to not less than $100 or more than $2,500 upon conviction.
- New methods to determine a noise violation that is above grade, or that occurs within multi-unit buildings. Learn more about the new measurement standards here.
- Clarity on the agencies and scope of work that are allowed exemptions to complete emergency repairs.
- Enhanced prohibited acts to address issues such as loud music and animal noises.
- Learn more with these frequently asked questions.
In November, County staff invited the community to take part in three separate public forums to weigh-in on proposed recommendations. Around 50 residents, business owners, property owners, development community participated in the forums. Code Enforcement staff, along with Zoning Enforcement staff and Arlington County Police Officers facilitated these two-hour questions and answers session relating to noise.
Participants’ concerns range from construction activity and violations related to approved work hours, to enforcement tools used by the Police, and knowing who to call, given the three agencies (Code Enforcement, Zoning, and Police) sharing enforcement responsibilities; and mixed feelings about some of the newly-introduced exemptions and prohibited acts in the ordinance. County staff are continuing to work with community members to address all the concerns.
Watch this Understanding Noise video from Arlington TV to learn more about the Arlington County Noise Ordinance:
If you have questions or comments, or would like to receive announcements related to the update of the Noise Ordinance, please contact please contact Code Enforcement (email@example.com) or call 703-228-3232