Duties of the Board of Zoning Appeals
The Arlington County Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) have powers, duties and procedures are set forth in broad terms in the State Code and in the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance, including:
- Hearing and deciding appeals of administrative decisions made pursuant to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Use Permits and Variances as authorized by the Zoning Ordinance.
- Hearing and deciding on applications for interpretation of the Zoning Map when there is uncertainty as to the location of a zoning district boundary.
In addition to above, the BZA also has the authority to grant variances from the Ordinance in certain circumstances, so long as the spirit of the Ordinance remains intact, the variance maintains public safety and welfare, and substantial justice is done. This authority includes:
- Permit the continuance of a nonconforming use in a conforming building for periods of three (3) years beyond the three-year limitation contained in Section 35, subsection B.2, if the board finds that:
- (a) said nonconforming use is not detrimental to, and does not affect adversely, adjacent property by reason of the nature of the use, generation of traffic, parking, lighting, noise and similar factors;
- (b) no commercial display, lighting, advertising and wholesale or retail merchandising is carried on in connection with the conduct of said nonconforming use;
- (c) such discontinuance shall work practical difficulty and undue hardship upon the owner of said building.
The BZA is a quasi-judicial body consisting of five (5) members appointed by the Circuit Court for staggered terms of five (5) years. All members of the BZA are private citizens and must be residents of Arlington County. The Board members are not County employees and are not available to discuss matters that come before them with the public outside of their regularly scheduled BZA meetings.
Term End Date
|Cecelia M. Espenoza||
March 7, 2017
March 7, 2014
|Charles D. Smith||
March 7, 2015
March 7, 2013
|Emory C. (Terry) Russell, Jr.||
March 7, 2016
The Board of Zoning Appeals Coordinator is Andrew Noxon.