Permits are required to protect all people from the effects of the repairs, additions, or new construction which are in violation of the codes and which could cause harm to life and property. Permits are also required to ensure that federally mandated building related requirements, such as energy conservation and accessibility are complied with. Failure to obtain the required permit is a violation of the law.
- Must be licensed as required by state of local law
- Must posses Arlington County business license or reciprocity with another jurisdiction
A permit becomes invalid if the authorized work is not started within six months of the date of issuance, or if work is discontinued for more than six months.
There are many permits that may be required during your construction process. Each permit has a variation of different requirements, therefore it is important to review the necessary requirements for all permits that may apply to your project.
All structural work requires a permit from the Inspection Services Division EXCEPT:
- Construction of a storage shed (of less than 200 square feet)
- Tents of less than 900 square feet
- Construction of a patio flat on the ground
- Residential cabinets
- Backyard recreational play equipment
- Installation of gutters
A temporary building permit may be issued at the discretion of the building official.
All electrical work requires a permit from the Inspection Services Division EXCEPT minor repair work, which includes only the following:
- Replacing of switches, sockets, and receptacles
- Repairing of non-commercial lighting fixtures and neon signs, if the sign is not to be altered or removed from the building
- Repairing of portable electrical equipment and appliances
- Repairing of heating equipment, air-conditioning units and refrigeration equipment, unless motors are to be replaced.
- Low voltage wiring, except where it penetrates a fire rated assembly or runs in a non-combustible plenum
All new plumbing and gas work requires a permit from the Inspection Services Division EXCEPT minor repairs, which include only the following:
- Repairs involving only the working parts of a valve or faucet
- The clearance of stoppages
- Repair of leaks or replacement of defective valves or faucets, provided that no changes are made in the piping to the fixture or appliance.
A permit from the Inspection Services Division is required for the installation, repair, or alteration of:
- Air-conditioning systems
- Refrigeration systems
- And their related components
A survey plat showing the location of all outdoor new and replacement heat pumps or A/C units will be required.
The model energy code requires energy calculations for new buildings and additions.
A permit from the Inspection Services Division is required for the new installations and alterations of:
- Material or personnel hoists
Shop drawings are required for all new installations and some modernizations, showing equipment layout, shafts, pits and elevator machine rooms.
A permit from the Inspection Services Division is required for all installation of and changes to fire protection systems such as:
- Fire alarm
- Fire mains
- Kitchen hoods and other suppression systems and components
Shop drawings are required for all fire protection system permits. Permits should be timed to schedule reviews, approval to order and install equipment, arrange testing and final approval by the Inspection Services Division.
At any time, specific questions are encouraged and can be addressed by the Fire Protection Engineer, Plan Review Section Supervisor or the Building Official at 703-228-3800.
Not finding the permit you’re looking for? Please see Other Permits for additional contact information to find you the permit you need, the Use Permit Overview to learn more about special exemptions to the Zoning Ordinance.